Shakespeare in ASL

Wed Jul 7 00:33:09 UTC 1999

Fortunately such stuff is being very carefully researched (and I meant to
raise no political issues, only to state a very well-agreed on linguistic
commonplaces among linguists who have devoted their lives to ASL research,
hardly anecdotal evidence, not would the principal lingusitics groups in
the US submit resolutions based on anecdotal or politically correct
positions).

To call ASL a dialect of French takes a little piece of historical
information and makes far too much of it. That is at every level (phonetic,
phonological, morphological, not to mention syntactic and pragmatic) more
than a little off base.  Morphological elements of ASL, for example,
pattern in a very different way from French morphology (of any historical
period or variety). In addition, ASL phonetics and phonology are hardly a
pretense, as many careful studies show.

Applied linguistics, as always, is harder, since we may not have all the
variables in hand, but the fact that ASL learners do so poorly (on some
tests) would seem to be about like suggesting that I would do poorly on a
Chinese test. It's not my native language, and I have very little control
over it. I would turn out to be lower than first grade. If you want to know
someone's langauge proficiency, you must test them in the language they
know (not the one you think they should know, which does, at last, I
suppose admit some of the political fervor which surrounds much of this
debate).

dInIs

preston at pilot.msu.edu
Office: (517)353-0740