more verbing

Wed Jul 7 12:34:35 UTC 1999

Andrea,

Of course, you are right. All these things are "objects," regardless of the
incredible variety of their semantic connections to their verbs. So we
speak of "cake" in "baked a cake" as an object (although "bake" obviously
"creates" a cake, rather than "acting" on it) just as we speak of "vase" as
the object in "I broke a vase." Of course, it's important ot keep all the
"subcategories" of objects straight since they show up in in different
constructions in different languages (and, in fact, allow different
grammatical operations in even the same language). For example, the objects
in "I baked a cake" and "I broke a vase" can both become subjects with no
semantic distortion ("The vase broke," "The cake baked"), but if you try
that with another "object" ("I swatted a fly") you will get nonsense ("The
fly swatted").

dInIs

Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages