Frankenfood

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 15 02:02:16 UTC 1999

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Gerald Cohen wrote:

>     I've followed the responses to Mr. Johnson's July 12 e-mail, and it
> seems now that one minor task remains to be done:  It would be helpful to
> have a statement directly from Paul Lewis clarifying just  when and how he
> coined the term "Frankenfood."  Also: are there any details of his coining
> the term that would be of any interest but have thus far escaped mention in
> any publication?  If so, would he please write them down so  we may have
> his authoritative statment about what happened.

This is really not necessary.  It's crystal-clear from a Nexis search that
Lewis coined the term in a 16 June 1992 letter to the New York Times.
Lewis himself confirmed in a Boston Globe interview later in the year that
this was the coinage.

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2