hanger

D. Ezra Johnson ezra_50 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 23 02:39:05 UTC 1999

I think I noticed my father (from London) saying the word this way, so I
looked it up in the Concise OED.

"hangar (-ngg-), n. Shed for housing aeroplane etc. [F, = shed for carriages
etc., etym. dub.]"

The French pronunciation is [a~ga:r] (Heath).

Were you implying that the (-ngg-) pronunciation is normal in New York for
"hangEr"?

There might even be a distinction for some between "[clothes] hanger" and
"hanger" 'person (or baseball pitch) that hangs'.

But surely, for most Americans, "hanger" = "hanger" = "hangar".

DEJ