hanger

Fri Jul 23 15:44:24 UTC 1999

No, I didn't think New Yorkers would say [haengg at r], and Dave Bergdahl
seems to agree; but that's why the pronunciation puzzled me.  Thanks for
the note on British pronunciation.
As Dennis notes, children do indeed say [fIng at r], and I think the gist of
the (CHILDES?] discussion was whether L2 adults do the same,
overgeneralizing from [sIng at r].  However, the opposite generalization also
occurs, and probably moreso, as he notes.
(BTW, I goofed on calling the two homophones rather than minimal pairs--MY
blooper!)