Persons Who Need Persons

Fri Jul 23 16:02:34 UTC 1999

And we Scandinavians must distinguish between the diacritics of Norwegian
and those of Swedish!  But American Scandies would change the o/slash to
'oe' and the a/circle to 'aa', wouldn't they?  I would also mark the
umlauts of German, of course, unless they too have been family-changed to
'oe' or 'ue'.
                                                Beverly (ne'e Olson) Flanigan
P.S. I just looked up the above French term in the dictionary to make sure
I put the accent over the right letter (I did--I intend the first one); but
my Webster's New World lists 'nee' WITHOUT the accent mark first and WITH
it second.  Which one is journalistic usage?