Parchment farm?

Chuck Borsos sqeezbox at CRUZIO.COM
Sat Jun 5 09:42:19 UTC 1999

Bukka White sang a "Parchman Farm Blues" in the thirties.  The sound of his
voice reminds me of Richie Havens, only 30 years earlier.  There is a story
of Bukka White being rediscovered years later by a fan of his old records
who went searching for him based on information of locale mentioned in his
songs.  I believe the fan was guitarist John Fahey if I remember correctly.
Bukka White then made some recordings as an old man.

Rounder Records is reissuing the field recordings of Alan Lomax, including
some Prison Songs, made in 1947-48 at Parchman Farm (Rounder 3719).

Chuck Borsos
Santa Cruz, CA