World Wide Words Michael at QUINION.DEMON.CO.UK
Tue Jun 8 08:16:14 UTC 1999

A subscriber to World Wide Words has asked about 'gobo' a jargon
term from the film industry, "a black flag, screen or other
material used to block light, cast shadows or create a pattern,
commonly used in spotlights". The OED records this word, with
citations back to 1930, but states "origin unknown". A later
citation implies it may be a variant form of "gobe", short for
"go between". If anyone has firmer information on its origin,
both my subscriber and I would be very interested to hear.

Michael B Quinion     <words at quinion.com>     Thornbury, Bristol, UK
       World Wide Words: <http://www.quinion.com/words/>

More information about the Ads-l mailing list