OED seeks US-based editor for American English

abatef abatef at COMPUSERVE.COM
Wed Jun 16 18:39:47 UTC 1999

ADS listers,

Hoping that this is not inapprpriate, I'm posting the following
job opening announcement, which is for a lexicographic position
with OED, but one that would be based in the US.

Please share with qualified applicants, and feel free to post
in appropriate places.  There will be a classified in this
Sunday's NY Times, as well.

Thank you,

Frank Abate
OUP US Dictionaries

PLEASE REPLY TO CONTACT GIVEN AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POSTING

PRINCIPAL EDITOR, OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY

Oxford University Press is establishing a North American Editorial Unit for
the Oxford English Dictionary at Old Saybrook, CT to complement the work of
editorial staff in Oxford by providing fully researched & edited dictionary
text relating to N. American English.  The Unit will also be a focus for
scholarly research into the history & usage of N. American English.

We seek a Principal Editor to set up & direct the work of the Unit,
reporting to the Chief Editor in Oxford.  Primary tasks will include:

managing research materials relating to N. American English, particularly
maintaining/developing the Reading Program of N. American sources

identifying/editing entries covering historical & modern N. American terms

revising/updating existing N. American entries in the Dictionary

establishing/maintaining appropriate mgmt systems to achieve these
objectives

promoting the Dictionary's scholarly & publication objectives by
representing the Oxford English Dictionary and Oxford University Press in
the media & in academic & other forums

Applications are invited from experienced lexicographers & editors with an
established record of post-doctoral scholarly publication in the field of N.
American English & a firm grounding in the history of English in Britain &
N. America.  Must be able to demonstrate managerial effectiveness &
familiarity with online text editing & research.  We offer a salary fully
commensurate with the challenge.

Application Deadline: July 15th, 1999

For application material contact: Personnel Department (012)
(NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE)
Oxford University Press
198 Madison Ave., NY, NY 10016
Equal Oppty Employer M/F/D/V