Query about "revlets"

Joan Houston Hall jdhall at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Fri Jun 18 16:50:39 UTC 1999

DARE has a 1978 letter from Ian Hancock in which he says the following:

"Do you have 'revlets' in DARE?  I heard it for the first time the other
day and have confirmed it twice since.  It is Afro-American, child's
speech, and refers to the particles of food from one's mouth which find
their way into a bottle of soda when one gives another a swig...If someone
asks for a drink from your soda bottle and that person is eating something
at the same time, he's told 'don't get no revlets in my soda!'  White
friends remember having a word for the same thing, but it wasn't the same
word."

Is anyone familiar either with 'revlet' or with a synonym?

Thanks--

Joan