shm-

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Wed Jun 30 08:51:53 UTC 1999

There is no question that the affective use of <shm-> originated in
Yiddish. There is an interesting discussion of some early occurrences
in Western Yiddish in Max Weinreich's _History of the Yiddish
Language_ (Univ. of Chicago Press, 1980), pp. 623-24.  I believe that
David Gold and other people have added to the literature on <shm->,
but I don't have references off-hand.

Jim Rader