Little Plain Language Progress

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at M-W.COM
Sat May 8 22:03:09 UTC 1999

I wonder what the criteria would be for language that was adequately
"plain".  Is there a set of guidelines or maybe even requirements for what
is called "plain English"?  Is syntax considered or only vocabulary?  And
who would be the judge of the success or failure of a given simplified
document?  Maybe this could be a whole new career for -- whom?  English or
linguistics majors?

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt, Merriam-Webster, Inc.
47 Federal Street, P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA  01102
Tel. (413) 734-3134 ext 124
Fax  (413) 827-7262