"Clam" (slang term for Scientologist)

Gareth Branwyn garethb2 at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon May 10 18:39:48 UTC 1999

Bruce K. Dykes wrote:

>>      I did a check for "Columbine" and "slang" and didn't come up with
>much.
>> There's "420" and "the trenchcoat mafia."
>>      Someone wrote that the shooters were "clams" (Scientologists).  There
>>were 1400 hits for "clam"/"Scientologist" on the Usenet database.  Why no
>>entry in the RHHDAS?  How old is the term?  Is it because its members are
>>secretive?
>

>I don't know the origin of the term, but it's been in use since at least
>1994 on alt.slack, the Church of the Subgenius newsgroup...
>
>It probably predates that by a bit...

I remember reading an explanation of the term years ago, but have
forgotten the specifics. It goes *something* like this: in L. Ron
Hubbard's sc-fi religion, souls of alien refugees (who were hiding in
volcanoes on Earth) were released when their enemies dropped atom bombs
on them. These souls came to reside in clams (and early humans?). This
could be way off base (my memory isn't what it used to be), but I can
assure you that the correct explanation is equally bizarre.

Other Scientology-related slang:

Cof$
Abbreviation for the church used by its detractors, making reference to
the high cost of enlightenment and the church's penchant for litigation.

Kobrigram
Written threats from chief church counsel Helena Kobrin sent to those who
speak disparagingly of Scientology or who give away the church's "trade
secrets" such as I have just done above.