The Welsh National Anthem for non Welsh speakers:

Fri May 14 11:40:54 UTC 1999

I'm more fond of these things than I realized, but I have another point. I
was amazed the other day to discover that a Brit colleague didn't have a
clue that the euphemized "w*anker" (i.e., "wanker") in this cited posting
is (nearly) unknown on this side of the pond (Anglophiles, tweedy academic
types, and Brit-film buffs to the contrary notwithstanding). Idnit the
case?

dInIs

>Don't know if any of you have seen this, but I got the -um- nmemonic and
>was then quite curious about the original.  Rima
>
>Here are both:

> And the original.  (And people wondered why I had difficulty doing the
>prons on Welsh entries...)
>
>Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau
>
>                                 Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
>                                Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri,
>                                 Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mad,
>                                    Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed
>
>                                  Gwlad! gwlad! pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad;
>                                     Tra mor yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,