Celly

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Fri May 14 16:41:26 UTC 1999

I received two uses of it from last week, from separate people at
separate companies who don't know each other. I also hear "celly" frequently in
the office of my summer job. There is a heavy phone culture here: the
thirty people that work here pay almost as much for calls as a 250-person
agency that I used to work for pays.

>From office-wide email: "I'll be at Clack's Studio tomorrow morning. I
can be reach by celly." Mid-twenties black man from New York City, with a
definitie hip-hop flavor. Works as an advertising planner.

>From personal email: "I don't know if I can go. I'll call you on the
celly when I get out of here." Mid-twenties white, female, art director. Hip,
with-it, pop culture pro.

Gareth Branwyn wrote:
} >This one's been popping up all over the place: celly, short for
cellular
} >phone.
}
} I haven't heard this one. Have others? This might be a good Jargon
Watch
} candidate.