Join the Army/Navy and See the World (continued)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun May 16 11:50:37 UTC 1999

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Barry A. Popik wrote:

>     The Congressional Record might be a good source for regional Armeican
> speech--we know exactly who the speakers are and where they're from.  I have
> a whole bunch of search terms, starting with "cold war."

It is interesting to note -- Barry may already be aware of this -- that
Richard Thornton early in this century compiled a precursor of the
Dictionary of American English relying primarily on the Congressional
Globe and Congressional Record as his citation sources.

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2