The Golden Rule of Dialects

Wed May 19 10:35:58 UTC 1999

I was tempted to accept Dave's explanation, until I read the cite on the
"King of Fink" (or whatever he's called), dating from 1964, as well as the
faraway cites from the NYTimes etc.  It may be that our colleague
transferred a phrase that had been in the wind to the matter of dialect
preference--perhaps only semi-conscious of the spreading phrase.
Logically, I'd bet the modified version has been around in some form or
other for about 2000 years!