Y2K

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Wed May 19 00:00:02 UTC 1999

We've hit the term "Y2K" a lot, but I just heard a nuance on NPR that interests me. Ordinarily, Y2K is attached as an adjective: Y2K bug, Y2K problem, Y2K programmer, etc.
But the report on NPR seems to indicate that now "Y2K" by itself indicates the millenium bug. It's a stand-alone.
My first reaction was that it was used by someone with minimal technical knowledge (and that may be the case), but the two sources speaking seemed intelligent enough, although I have never cared for the reporter.