Among the New Words/Nexis

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue May 18 23:59:12 UTC 1999

I have deleted Barry's message about antedating computer terms by
searching Usenet, but I suspect that many of these would show up even
earlier on Nexis.  It is great that Barry is searching Usenet for "Among
the New Words," but it would be even greater if someone would search all
the ATNW terms on Nexis.  Nexis is clearly the fundamental tool for
researching neologisms, and lack of Nexis searching results in somewhat
impoverished, even inaccurate information in ANTW.

I'm not volunteering to do the Nexis searching myself at this point
(because of lack of time), although I would probably be the best person
for this task.

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2