Among the New Words/Nexis

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Wed May 19 13:45:01 UTC 1999

Another database to consider is Profound, www.profound.com. It is a service of Dialog and seems to have everything that is not exclusive to Lexis-Nexis, plus some. It's huge. It does not, however, index the New York Times, but this is a minor inconvenience: much of the Times is sent on the wire or shows up in sister publications, and is indexed that way. It also contains market industry reports and other research not found elsewhere.

Wayne, one point about doing web searches, and I say this only because I've seen the mistake so many times, is to make sure your students have multiple browser windows open at once, each window running its own search. The servers on the other end can handle it, if your computers can. I've got a good machine with a lot of memory, and I can run a dozen or more searches at once in multiple windows with no problems. However, if you push your computer's limits you may experience the occasional browser crash, and its for this reason that I recommend using Internet Explorer. Its History function will allow you to go back to previous pages when the browser is re-launched, while Netscape does not. There's nothing quite as frustrating as having multiple results windows open and having the browser crash. Being able to return to those results windows takes a bit of the sting out.
Another thing: you may want to consider using the stand-alone Nexis client, if you're not already. It's a bit speedier than the web interface, but doesn't allow more than one search at a time.