FUD correction

Ken Miller bookrat at BOOKRAT.COM
Thu May 20 06:03:48 UTC 1999

At 6:44 PM -0700 5/19/99, Brian Good wrote:
>The essay "What is FUD?" by Roger Irwin at
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9267/fuddef.html
>
>suggests that the term has a history in the computer industry that
>predates the Open Source movement, although recent events have increased
>awareness of the term in the minds of the public.

I first heard the term somewhere around 1985.  It had been verbed by then:
one of my friends had a T-shirt with the motto "Let's FUD [name of rival
company]".  (I can't remember the name of his company, or of the rival; I
think both companies have gone the way of all silicon.)

Ken Miller
Assistant Drone
Johnson Institute for the Study of Harmless Drudgery