commentariat

Joseph McCollum prez234 at JUNO.COM
Sat May 22 10:10:26 UTC 1999

On Fri, 21 May 1999 16:48:17 -0400 Barnhart <barnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM>
writes:
>Dear Bruce,
>
>Yup! I think it's new.  It's scheduled for Barnhart Dictionary
>Companion
>(Vol. 12.1, due in the Fall).  E.Q. (i.e. earliest quote found) is
>1993.
>Quotes included (for now) are from Time, The Village Voice, and
>Newsday.
>It reminds me of punditocracy (DC 11.1).  It may be modeled on
>mullahtariat (DC Vol. 2.3: 1981).  I've not seen other words on
>-tariat.
>
>Regards,
>David K. Barnhart
>Barnhart at highlands.com

I immediately thought of prole-tariat.  (The class of people who
contribute to the state
by having children).
There's also secretariat (the famous race horse Secretariat and United
Nations post ) -- but a check of the dictionary shows a secretariat can
also be a group or department of secretaries -- as well as the place
where a secretary transacts business.