catchphrases not in Whiting, part 4

Mon Nov 1 21:30:03 UTC 1999

Granted these examples are out of context, but from
them I deduce that a "leather medal" is a whipping or
strapping.  What would a "putty medal" be?

JIM
1822:   He ought to have a "leather medal" for his
design.
        XYZ.  A Knickerbocker Tour of New York State,
1822.  Louis
Leonard Tucker, ed.  Albany: Univ. of the State of New
York, The
State Education Dept., New York State Library, 1968,
p. 39

1826:   [a man executes his horse, ceremoniously].
For this
gallant act of bravery, it is recommended that the
ladies and
gentlemen of the place should present him with a
leather medal.
        The Long-Island Star, February 9, 1826, p. 2,
col. 5

1843:   Reward of Merit. [for "some recent specimens
of American
Sagacity and contrivance" during an election.]  1.  A
Leather Medal
each — very thick and solid. . . . [to some voters].
A pair of horn
goggles — regular dead-eyes -- [to other voters].
        New-York Daily Tribune, November 9, 1843, p.
2, col. 3

There are variants of this phrase.  I remember having
seen "putty
medal" but can't document it.

RHHDAS: 1831, citing OED; not in Whiting, EAPPP; nor
Taylor &
Whiting; DAE: 1837; OED: 1831

=====