"Nitpicky" (was RE: "Virtuous circle")

Paul McFedries lists at MCFEDRIES.COM
Tue Nov 2 13:49:12 UTC 1999

I would classify "nitpicky" as perfectly acceptable usage. As my
"legitimate source" I offer Lexis-Nexis, which reports nearly 1,000
citations. However, the earliest occurs in a Washington Post story from
April 21, 1980, so it must be fairly new. That explains why "older"
dictionaries (OED, Webster's Third New International) don't have it. I
did find it in the recently-published Canadian Oxford Dictionary, thus
solidifying its claim as my favorite lexicon. Can anyone find nitpicky
in any other sources (Encarta, perhaps)?

Paul
http://www.logophilia.com/WordSpy/