Screwdrivers

Patricia S. Kuhlman pskuhlman at JUNO.COM
Tue Nov 2 20:42:00 UTC 1999

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:30:40 -0600 Greg Pulliam <greg at PULLIAM.ORG> writes:
>I grew up in Mississippi and Tennessee in the 60s and 70s.  My dad is
>from Hannibal, MO.  I call them "phillips-head" and "flat-head"
>screwdrivers.  I don't know (as I think about it now) if I picked
>"flat-head" up from Dad or from living in the deep and mid- south.
>
>-
>Gregory J. Pulliam
>Illinois Institute of Technology
>Lewis Department of Humanities
>Chicago, IL   60616
>pulliam at iit.edu

Ditto for me:  I call them  phillips-head (or just phillips) and
flat-head.  I grew up in a rural suburban area north of Chicago in the
50's and 60's, but I am sure that I learned this usage from my father,
not my peers.  My father grew up in the '20's in South Bend, Indiana.

Patricia Kuhlman
Brooklyn, NY
pskuhlman at juno.com