Philadelphia

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Fri Nov 5 19:02:45 UTC 1999

RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

> Whose theory was this? I've never heard this before. Since that vowel was (as
> I recall) quite prominent in the speech of African-Americans throughout the
> South, I've never connected it historically with New York-ese.

> ... the theory that New Orleans' "toity-toid" vowel
> came from New York through close commercial contact in the early 19th c,
> because New York wouldn't have had it to give...

I looked in Dillard's ALL AMERICAN ENGLISH or A HISTORY OF AMERICAN ENGLISH but
couldn't find the discussion I remember; it's in AMERICAN TALK: WHERE OUR WORDS
CAME FROM that he attributes the resemblance to maritime pidgin influence on
both.  See the chapter on "New Orleans and Louisiana" esp. pp. 46ff.