Professional Glossaries - 2nd request

Lynne Murphy M_Lynne_Murphy at BAYLOR.EDU
Wed Nov 10 20:38:41 UTC 1999

Well, I don't know whether linguistics and literary criticism are
considered "professions" (rather than disciplines?  With the first
request, I assumed you were looking for the sorts of things that people
don't get BAs and PhDs in, but rather MFAs, BSs, whatever), but here are
the discipline-specialized dictionaries on my shelf:

Mario Pei and Frank Gaynor's _Dictionary of Linguistics_, Philosophical
Library, 1954.
    Sure, it's old, but it was free and it's useful for looking up
obscure case names or phonetic terms.  But didn't Bill Ladusaw (for some
reason I don't understand...) do a dictionary of phonetics  (or maybe
that was a symbol guide)?  My colleague-to-be, Larry Trask, did _A
Dictionary of Grammatical Terms in Linguistics_ (Routledge, 1993), which
I suppose I should acquire soon to replace the Pei.

Ross Murfin and Supryia Ray's _The Bedford Glossary of Critical and
Literary Terms_, 1997.
    Even though it's called a "glossary", its entries aren't
glosses--they're more encyclopedic.  The entry for "Marxist criticism"
is 7 pp. long.  Helps me figure out the mysteries of my colleagues'
course descriptions...

Richard Spears' _NTC's Dictionary of Grammar Terminology_, 1991.
    Helpful for using pedagogical grammar books, but seems like it's
pitched to a linguistically much less sophisticated audience--probably
educationists.  Intro says it's pitched to "the needs of students and
teachers alike."

I've often used the web to check  specialized terminology  and found a
lot of glossaries there. I can't think off-hand of any that I used (one
was about wall-paper hanging, but I don't know the URL).  I don't know
whether web glossaries count for your study, but some of them, I think,
are web versions of printed things, and that might be a quick way to
find things that are not only out there, but are also being used.

Lynne

--

M. Lynne Murphy, Assistant Professor in Linguistics
Department of English, Baylor University