Writing question

Amy Speed speed at PARADIGMTECH.COM
Thu Nov 11 19:49:11 UTC 1999

Ouch, to the tech writers! As a technical writer myself, I often find it
frustrating that software developers don't know or care about proper
capitalization conventions. I worked for one software company that allowed
me to go to the developers with my corrections. The company for which I
currently work does not take suggestions from technical writers. And, of
course, once they do something wrong once, it has to remain incorrect for
consistency's sake. Frustrating, indeed. Especially when I am forced to use
their mistakes in my writing.

As a general rule, program titles (or dialog box titles) should be
capitalized as book titles ... all word capitalized except for prepositions
and conjunctions (but never with CAPS LOCK!). Field names are a gray area.
Microsoft capitalizes only the first letter of a word or phrase. Other
companies like to capitalize field names as they would program titles.
Whatever the company decides, the convention must be carried over into the
documentation. For all other text, I always follow the rules any dope can
learn in high school English.

In my experience, most technical writers are not actively involved in the
decisions of these conventions. Some may be poor editors. In any case, I
certainly agree with Andrea that software developers need to agree to a
standard (preferably Standard English rules) and stick with it. This is
necessary for a quality intuitive user interface (clarity, accuracy, etc.).
I would love to be more involved in presentation issues that involve words.
However, until programmers understand that tech writers' skills are just as
important as theirs, it probably won't happen.

Amy

P.S. Some tech writers are computer science graduates, rather than English
graduates. Without trying to step on anyone's toes, a company will usually
benefit more with an English expert than a computer expert as a tech writer.
Are the reasons as obvious to you as they are to me?