male pattern baldness

Lynne Murphy M_Lynne_Murphy at BAYLOR.EDU
Fri Nov 12 20:18:19 UTC 1999

Yes, "bald" has a fuzzy meaning (like just about everything else).  The point I
was trying to make was that because the two terms exist, and one of them
definitely does not describe complete baldness,  the one that has the potential
to mean something different ("bald" can mean 'completely hairless') is often
assumed to have that more extreme meaning.  Also, one might suppose that the
prototypical meaning for "bald" is complete hairlessness (my cat is bald, he
went bald from chemotherapy), but the prototypical meaning for "bald man" is
more like "male pattern baldness"--bringing up other problems.

Lynne, who doesn't have a cat, but might like a bald one

--

M. Lynne Murphy, Assistant Professor in Linguistics
Department of English, Baylor University