Yeah, Seattle

Mon Nov 22 18:06:07 UTC 1999

I suspect it's a matter of pronunciation, since it sounds as if Crotty is
mocking the same kind of "yeah" we use in Minnesota:  [ja] or 'yah', with
some lengthening, but no ingliding or schwa (roughly [jE at h], or "ye-ugh",
which is what my Ohio-raised son says.  And it's not just a youth thing;
we've always done it.  Our West Coast people can comment on whether or not
they say it similarly.  But Fargo/Minnesota people sound "dorky"???