City Names

M. Lynne Murphy M_Lynne_Murphy at BAYLOR.EDU
Tue Nov 30 16:29:03 UTC 1999

----------
>From: Amy Speed <speed at PARADIGMTECH.COM>
>

>Then there's always J-burg and the Cape.

Well, the Cape isn't actually the city Cape Town--it's the Cape region.  In
the new provincial map, particularly the Western Cape province, which
includes Cape Town and the Cape of Good Hope (which is a bit down the
coast).

Now that I think about it, I think the South African tendency for clipping
may come from the British, but the adding of -s onto the things that they
clip might be an Afrikaans influence.  Can any British folk comment on the
-s?

Lynne