ApLx

Fri Oct 1 15:07:18 UTC 1999

This is a vast field to cover in just a semester (hopefully not a
quarter?).  But if you want one up-to-date book, covering all the major
issues/subfields, I'd recommend you order the _Annual Review of Applied
Linguistics_.  It's edited by the best people and includes articles and
cumulative bibliographies on a number of issues each year.  Since the
coverage tends to change from year to year, however, you might want to look
at the last 3 or 4 volumes and pick the one that most suits your needs.
Our library gets the series on standing order, and I recommend it for every
library!  Check it out in Books in Print.

Also, although I know you don't do TESOL courses, the very best small,
introductory book on language learning (esp. SLA), with implications for
those who might want to go into L2 teaching, is Lightbown and Spada, _How
Languages Are Learned_ (Oxford UP); I believe a 2nd ed. is now out.  In
general, I'd suggest 3 or 4 small books rather than (or perhaps as a
baseline for) a packet of articles.  So I'll add:  on bilingualism, either
Hakuta, _Mirror of Language_ or Genesee, _Learning Through Two Languages_;
and for language and law, O'Barr or Levi?  And on language and power,
Norman Fairclough (that title; Longman, possibly a new ed.).