"Babe Roof"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Oct 4 01:55:39 UTC 1999

     Puns involving "Babe Roof" are nothing new.  In the 1950s I read a
book which contained a joke which  almost certainly  goes back at least to
the 1930s:

    A fellow wolks into a bar with his dog and tells the patrons his dog
can talk.  Bets are taken, and the fellow asks his dog: "What's the top of
a house called?"  The dog answers: "Roof!"

     There are some groans among the patrons, but the fellow then says
he'll ask the dog a second question.  He turns to the dog and asks:
"What's the top of the mouth called?"  The dog asnwers:  "Roof!"

    The patrons are about to throw the fellow and his dog out, but the
fellow asks for a chance to ask the dog one more question.  He looks
intently at the dog and asks: "Who's the greatest baseball player in the
history of the game?"  The dog answers: "Roof!"

    At that point the patrons lose patience and throw both the fellow and
his dog out.   When they're both outside the dog looks up to his master and
says: "Maybe I should have said Ty Cobb?"

-----Gerald Cohen

gcohen at umr.edu