"boogobs" query

No Name Available P2052 at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 4 13:16:28 UTC 1999

That's interesting.  I grew up hearing--and saying--"googobs," meaning "lots
(of ) _____"  or "much."   A synonym for this word which I heard--and
used--often during my childhood was "bookoo."  After I took a French course,
I assumed that the latter was a mispronunciation of the French word,
beaucoup, which has the same meaning.

Some contexts in which these words occur are as follows:
" I heard that she has bookoo money."
"I hear that she has googobs of money."

Since I've heard these terms only from African Americans raised in the South,
I'm wondering if these expressions might be peculiar to this particular
community.

                            PAT WILLIAMS