plausible?

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTK.EDU
Tue Oct 5 02:23:34 UTC 1999

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Michael K. Gottlieb wrote:

>- Is the ultimate homogenizaton of American dialects plausible?

I think "fictional" is a more accurate term that "plausible." I have
been reading for nearly 30 years that dialects are dying in this
country, that we are all beginnign to sound just alike, Yet, I can drive
less than a mile in any dirextion from my home, which is only two
miles from my UT office, and introduce you to a speaker of a dialect
sufficiently different from yours, most of you [dInIs is an exception, of
course), that you will have trouble understanding the speaker.

Bethany