tube steak

Tue Oct 5 14:47:56 UTC 1999

> This was my first exposure to the term (I must've
> been younger than 10), so it
> stuck in my head.  If Fritos felt it was usable on
> TV, I'm sure it had a
> straight link to the hot dog.
>

> > I've never heard it in an obscene context; popular
> term in FL and MS in mid
> > 50s; SC in mid 60s; GA in mid 70s; NV, mid 80s;
> CA, mid 90s.

I've never heard "tubed" steak; "tube steak" is, and
has been for a number of years, a well-known (IMO)
synonym for hot-dog.  (On another list, a few years
back, there was a discussion of names, often regional,
for this food; the names were very diverse and
interesting.  Similarly for "soda pop".  What are
these foods called where you live, or where you
grew-up?)

I've never heard "tube steak" used where any other
meaning than the food item would make sense, not even
as a double entendre.

Jim SMITH

=====