"mere mistakes"

Alexey I. Fuchs c0654038 at TECHST02.TECHNION.AC.IL
Wed Oct 6 13:52:31 UTC 1999

An american guy told me once: "It's funny how we use the names of other
countries, all those expressions like "there's something rotten in/about
Denmark", "pardon my French" etc."

I used "pardon my French" in the same way as "akstericks." I did it on the
mailing list of American Dialect Society.

Whose feelings did I hurt?

Do you really suggest that I "attributed our obscenities" to the French?
And then - to the French what? Language or people?

In any case, my sincere apologies to the French.

P.S. If anybody knows about the origin/first usage of this phrase (pardon
my French) I'd be delighted if you share this information with me. Seems
to be from some old movie... And sounds quite senseless too.

                                                        Alexey