Dirty Southerners

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Thu Oct 7 02:09:52 UTC 1999

A couple folks have mentioned (well, at least Natalie) the
possibility of a Southern upbringing influencing the use or non-use of
obscenities.

I consider myself half Southern, on my father's side. You could
stand him and his Missourian brothers in the red clay of Georgia
and wouldn't nobody know the difference except for the fact that
they wouldn't be able to figure out how they're related to the
county. Give me a day or two and a feed cap with a broken bill and
I'd fit in as well.

So, my point: There's a slough of words they will use and a
whole nother set they won't use. I can remember my father using any
variation of "fuck" once and only once, while "sonufabitch" and
"bastard" and "shit" are like old friends to me when he says them
now.

And my question: are obscenities regionalized? Could we put pins
in a map and show usage contours?