Second Avenue "Stubway"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 10 17:21:45 UTC 1999

     Jennifer Lopez has an album titled ON THE 6, which refers to the
Lexington subway line in New York City.  The Lex is always crowded with
people ("sardines") from Grand Central Terminal (commuters from Westchester)
going to Wall Street.  It's so crowded that I prefer to work in the Bronx
(the other direction on the Lex line) than in Brooklyn or Manhattan.
   There are serious discussions of building a parallel, Second Avenue Subway
line.  The current MTA plans are for a short subway from 125th Street to 63rd
Street.  It has already been dubbed the Second Avenue "Stubway."
   Yesterday, I received mail from an aspiring city councilwoman about her
views on the "Stubway Plan."  (She's endorsed by all of the elected officials
who never responded to my plea to obtain an absentee ballot.)
   "Stubway" is a good example of how jargon begins early and often shapes
public policy.  A word like this can have great influence on a plan that may
cost $15 billion.