I'm Not Saying, I'm Just Saying

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 12 18:27:17 UTC 1999

Grant Barrett writes:

>New York Post writer Gersh Kuntzman tries to stir up baseball rivalry
>between Atlanta and New York, and has this interesting line:
>
>"And do you think they mention New Coke? As we say in New York, I'm not
>saying, I'm just saying."
>
>http://www.nypost.com/news/15720.htm

and the wider context of the article
==================
It starts at one of the main tourist attractions, The World of
Coca-Cola, a "museum" dedicated to the city's most-famous
product and Earth's most-popular soft drink.
But nowhere does the exhibit explain, for example, that the
original formula included cocaine, an oversight that George W.
Bush would certainly appreciate.
And do you think they mention New Coke? As we say in
New York, I'm not saying, I'm just saying.
Instead, we're treated to a gallery of Coke advertisements over
the years and a photos from around the world...
doesn't really help.  Is anyone--New Yorker or otherwise--familiar with
this construction?  Is there a specialized intonation?  Does it work with
other verbs than "saying"?  Inquiring minds want to know...

Larry