Lex/Nex & The Big Dance

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 13 21:16:50 UTC 1999

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, beth lee simon wrote:

> If you're using the academic (don't know the formal label) version/access for
> Lex/Nex, know that the search is conducted through only the first 2 (3?)
> paragraphs of any article. So, if the term occurs late in an article, there
> won't be a hit.
>
> Those of you using Lex/Nex out of your regular academic/research libraries might
> not be aware of this. The complete search engine goes with the more expensive
> contract -- usually business, government agencies, etc.

Your points are well-taken as general comments.  If they are directed at
my posting in particular, however, I should point out (and this may help
people in interpreting other postings in which I frequently mention Nexis)
that I do not search Academic Universe, but rather the far more
comprehensive law school subscription.  This is why I will sometimes get
earlier citations from Nexis than Barry Popik or other posters on this
list do.

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2