Lexis-Nexis

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 14 18:42:35 UTC 1999

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Bethany K. Dumas wrote:

> It has been suggested that academic versions of Lexis-Nexis search only
> the first 2 paragraphs of documents. That has not seemed to be my
> exerience here at UT (i.e., I sometimes find terms that are contained only
> in the closing paragraphs of documents) and I am trying to find out what
> in fact is true.  The online description of our academic versions includes

As I indicated in an earlier posting, I don't know anything about Academic
Universe, but I checked with a reference librarian at the Yale University
Library and she said that, at least with their subscription, Academic
Universe, in creating an initial search set, searches only the headline
and lead paragraph.  It sounds as if Academic Universe is even more
inferior to what I think of as "Nexis" than I thought.

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2