Sheidlower on "Lewinsky"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 15 05:20:49 UTC 1999

     Sorry for that subject head!
     Jesse "The Dad" Sheidlower is in the New York Post, 15 October 1999, pg.
33, cols. 1-6:

_"Lewinsky" Becomes a Verb_
Monica's Dad can't really complain:
She's _earned_ a place in the dictionary
Meredith Berkman (mberkman at nypost.com)

(col. 6)
     But Jesse Sheidlower, the editor of the Oxford English Dictionary who is
responsible for American entries, requires further evidence that "a Lewinsky"
has formally entered our lexicon before he'll include it in the OED.
Sheidlower, who watched the "Law & Order" episode, is waiting for the moment
he hears the term on the street.
     "I'd only put it in if I thought it had real currency, if it was being
used widely and independently...not as something a professional TV writer
came up with," he says.  "I'd need to see an example in a completely neutral
context (like), 'Hey, baby.  Want to give me a Lewinsky?'"