Tartarstan

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Fri Oct 15 16:26:26 UTC 1999

Grant Barrett wrote:

> On Thursday, October 14, 1999, A. Vine <avine at eng.sun.com>
> wrote:
> >Is that the English name for it - Tartarstan as opposed to
> >Tatarstan?
> >

> Err. You know what I mean.
>
> "Tartar Stan" works for Red Lobster. He's the guy that adds the
> dollop right before the food goes out.

I think I know that guy...

No, my question was serious.  In English, we talk about the Tartars, but in
Russian, they are Tatars, with stress on the second syllable.  So I really don't
know how Tartarstan would be written in English.

There was just a long discussion on the Unicode list about place names,
comparing those places which had a different name in another language to those
who names are just transliterated.  This came up because of Burma/Myanmar;
someone wanted to know whether the Burmese characters should be labeled as
Myanmar or Burmese.  For those of you who are interested, let me know and I can
point you to the list archive.  It was a very interesting thread.

Andrea