Michigan State's coach Duffy Daugherty

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 19 08:14:11 UTC 1999

DUFFY

    The Library of Congress (but not the NYPL) had DUFFY: AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY
(1974) by Duffy Daugherty with David Diles.  Duffy coached Michigan State
football for 19 years.

Pg. 147:  Someone once said that a tie is like kissing your sister.  It
surely is no more exciting than that.

    Duffy knew University of Texas coach Darrell Royal.  Royal could not have
coined this phrase in 1976.
    Nor did Duffy coin the phrase after the famous 1966 tie with Notre Dame.
He's not taking credit for the phrase in his own 1974 autobiography.
    Scratch two candidates off the list from my 20 December 1998 posting.
That leaves Washington coach Jim Owen (who allegedly coined it in 1957) and
Navy coach Thomas Hamilton (who allegedly coined it in 1946).

Pg. 154:  It's been often said that football is a contact sport.  Not so.
Football is a COLLISION sport; dancing is a contact sport.

    This quotation is credited to Vince Lombardi in the book VINCE.  The
AHDOAQ also gives credit to Lombardi--no date is given, but it's "quoted in
James A. Michener, _Sports in America_ (1976)."
    The late L.A. Times sportswriter Jim Murray's book credits Daugherty.
    Daugherty doesn't help his cause in DUFFY by giving us any background,
but at least he gives us the exact phrase.

TOP TEN REASONS IT'S NOT BEEN A GOOD WEEK
#3--THE NEW YORK YANKEES

    A good deal less famous than Babe Ruth's curse of the Boston Red Sox is
my own curse of the New York Yankees.
    In February 1997, I lectured before the New York Chapter of the Society
for American Baseball Research on the origin of the nickname "New York
Yankees."  I sent my work to SABR member Lawrence Ritter (who has written
several acclaimed baseball books and did the "Yankees" entry for the
ENCYCLOPEDIA OF NEW YORK CITY), and he thanked me.  In 1999, I made the
"Yankees" entry of Paul Dickson's BASEBALL DICTIONARY.
    In 1997, I sent copies of all of my work on "New York Yankees," "Yankee,"
"Yankee Doodle," "pinstripes," "Bronx Bombers," and "Subway Series" to the
editor of Yankees Magazine.
    There was no reply.
    I e-mailed www.yankees.com.  There was no reply.  I e-mailed again.
There was still no reply.  I wrote directly to George Steinbrenner.  The
editor of Yankees Magazine called my answering machine that he "never
received" my research or e-mails.
    I called back, but the Yankees Magazine editor was out of town.  I called
back again, and his secretary said he was still out of town.  I called back
again and left my name and number and address.  No response.
    So, in 1997, I put a powerful curse on the New York Yankees that they
would never again win the World Series.