Snickerdoodle; Duffy

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Wed Oct 20 11:58:21 UTC 1999

On Wednesday, October 20, 1999, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>SNICKERDOODLE
>
>    A cookie store has begun offering snickerdoodles (cinnamon
cookies).  I
>couldn't find this in Flexner's LISTENING TO AMERICA or I HEAR
AMERICA
>TALKING, or the DICTIONARY OF AMERICANISMS.  I also couldn't
find a good
>"snickerdoodle origin" web page, although there are a few
recipes.  The
>Tamony files contain a "snickerdoodle" entry.
>   If "s'mores" can enter a dictionary, surely we can raise a
"snickerdoodle"
>case.  Does anyone know who made the first batch and who named
>them?

My God, man, a dictionary entry is not enough. They should be
the national snack or something.

The basic recipe my mother uses is something like a basic sugar
cookie dough. You make golf-sized balls of dough, then roll them
in a cinnamon and sugar mixture (a lot more sugar than cinnamon).
When baked, the cookies flatten out and the sugar and cinnamon
coat rives and breaks like cracked mud flats. Good texture, and
tasty.

So many  of my favorite things are so simple.

--
Grant Barrett

http://www.worldnewyork.com/