Snickerdoodle; Duffy

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Wed Oct 20 16:35:11 UTC 1999

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> SNICKERDOODLE
>
>     A cookie store has begun offering snickerdoodles (cinnamon cookies).  I
> couldn't find this in Flexner's LISTENING TO AMERICA or I HEAR AMERICA
> TALKING, or the DICTIONARY OF AMERICANISMS.  I also couldn't find a good
> "snickerdoodle origin" web page, although there are a few recipes.  The
> Tamony files contain a "snickerdoodle" entry.
>    If "s'mores" can enter a dictionary, surely we can raise a "snickerdoodle"
> case.  Does anyone know who made the first batch and who named them?

Well, call me deprived, but I never had or heard of a snickerdoodle until I came
out to California and one of my friends here made them.  This is not for lack of
eating or baking cookies, mind.

I'll have to ask some fellow Texans if snickerdoodles were known (and I somehow
missed them).

Toll house cookies are a different story entirely...
Andrea