crick

Mon Oct 25 01:51:17 UTC 1999

In a message dated 10/24/1999 6:17:36 PM, michael.gottlieb at YALE.EDU writes:

<< I've heard the expression, among middle-aged and older midwesterners,
"If'n that the crick don't rise."  I've never been able to determine
whether the expression refers to the watercourse or the Native American
Indian tribe.

The Crick Indians?

As for Wisconsin /kri:k/, that would be Northern as opposed to North Midland
/krik/. Somebody should look in an actual book about this. I think this is a
classic area georgraphy distinction.