FUNERALIZE

No Name Available P2052 at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 27 00:33:44 UTC 1999

That is not the meaning of the word when used in the African-American
community.  As I explained to my instructor at Auburn University, funeralize
means, simply, "to perform the last rites" (from the minister's standpoint)
or "to have the last rites perfomed" (from the standpoint of family members),
followed by the burial (either in whole or in part). In my forty-something
years, I've never heard the term used in the sense which you describe. (And,
believe me, as a church musician,  I have heard the term a whole lot.)

Interestingly enough, though, the term is not synonymous with memorialize
(which connotes honor [and not everyone "funeralized" is so deserving]; nor
is it synonymous with bury or inter, both of which refer simply to the final
stage of the ritual.
                    PAT WILLIAMS