PU

SusanMarie Harrington sharrin at IUPUI.EDU
Wed Oct 27 15:27:19 UTC 1999

I'd have spelled that ooey-pooey, Beverly; I've never heard a [j] in either
half.  And that's a term I've rarely heard on campus.  But the campus does
have a story to account for the term, one of the few pieces of campus lore
our young, commuting campus has, come to think of it.  The story goes that
pronunciation of our acronym is the Thai pronunciation of IUPUI.  A speaker
at the campus' dedication supposedly made this observation at the start of
a speech.  I keep hoping an industrious student will want to track down
this story for a class project, but so far,  no luck.

Susanmarie Harrington

Susanmarie Harrington, Director of Writing              sharrin at iupui.edu
Indiana Universitiy Purdue University Indianapolis      317 278-1153
425 University Boulevard                                fax:317 278-1287
Indianapolis IN 46202-5140